Heat and Light treatments are good for different skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis. New York City clients can learn more about adding an infrared sauna treatment or light therapies to your healing day at La Casa by calling 212-673-2272. Add on a Vitamin D treatment for added benefit. Read on for details.
VITAMIN D/TANNING20 minutes: $50
This unit is the only unit recommended by Dr. Mercola. He advises against using oral vitamin D, and instead, to use this more natural way of exposing your whole body to the full spectrum of sunlight. Evidence continues to accrue showing that both the incidence and progression of cancers, especially colon, breast and prostate cancers, are beneficially affected by having vitamin D serum levels in the 40-60 ng/ml range. This amount is recommended by over 42 vitamin D researchers, and it is well above the 20 ng/ml officially recommended by the Institute of Medicine. It is estimated that as much as 75-80% of the world’s population is below the 40 ng/ml range.
• red light puts collagen in skin surface, filling in wrinkles, helping to reverse the appearance of aging
• white light strengthens the walls of blood vessels in skin, improving oxygenation and hydration
• all the lights together give a surfeit of vitamin D
For more information on the relationship between Vitamin D and cancer treatment and prevention, click the video below!
INFRARED SALT SAUNA30 minutes: $50
Enjoy our dry infrared sauna with over 100 pounds of salt blocks (Himalayan, Baltic Sea, and Black Sea) in room.
INFRARED SAUNA YOGA60 minute personalized, one-to-one session: $130
La Casa is now offering a service that exists nowhere else in NYC, and perhaps nowhere else in the world! Tap into the incredible benefits of an infrared/salt sauna coupled with the restorative detoxification of yoga: the ultimate hot yoga experience.Infrared heat penetrates deeply into the body, stimulating the metabolism, detoxing the liver and rest of body, and recalibrating immunity. The anti-aging benefits are unparalleled, and 400-600 calories are burned in one session.
Our resident certified yoga teacher, Iva deMartelly (pictured below), is experienced in dealing with all levels and abilities, illnesses and injuries. She will work with you one-on one within the sauna to alleviate pain, and strengthen body and mind. With gentle adjustments and deep stretching, you will reach unsurpassed levels of deep relaxation, detoxification and whole body/mind rejuvenation.
La Casa now has a large Blue Light, which we have used, quite effectively, on many of our clients for the traditional use of it—to clear up acne. But we have found that it has many more uses.
It was discovered in 2001 that the light receptor in the retina that processes Blue Light is different than for all other light. Unlike all other light waves, the light/dark sensors in your brain for Blue Light do not connect with your vision center. Rather, Blue Light connects to our biological clocks, and this internal time mechanism resets itself every day. When we are in sync with the rhythm of the earth, exposure to the specific wavelength of Blue Light retunes the body to a natural circadian rhythm. This rhythm includes the sleep/wake cycles. Blue Light tells us when the day is beginning. This attribute gives it the unique ability to wake up your whole body, and it can do this even when your eyelids are closed (presumably sleeping). (Your eyelid is moderately transparent: close your eyes and look at the light in the room where you’re sitting—you can tell when you’re looking toward, or away from that light).
But even more interesting (for me, as a psychoanalyst as well as a holistic healing practitioner) than the discovery of the connection between Blue Light and the circadian rhythm is research showing that it also affects the emotional center of the brain. Thus, we now refer to our Blue Light also as the “Happy Light.” Exposure to it has been suggested as an effective therapy for depression. One study from researchers of the Light Research Program at Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia) found that the Blue/Happy Light strengthens and stimulates connections between areas of the brain that process emotion and language. The researchers concluded that Blue/Happy Light can help people to better handle emotional challenges and regulate moods, and that it is even more effective than the bright white light often used in light boxes to treat SAD and other forms of depression.
Blue/Happy Light is prevalent in outdoor light. Your body absorbs greater amounts of it in the summer, and less in the winter. Because of this, the researchers of the study suggested that exposure to Blue/Happy Light may help boost mood and productivity year-round, but is most effective during the winter.
Blue/Happy Light is a part of the UV light spectrum, and acts as a potent disinfectant of your environment. (Its disinfectant quality is why it cures acne.) Research has found UV light can reduce the spread of tuberculosis in hospital wards and waiting rooms by 70 percent, and kills 90 percent of drug-resistant bacteria in hospital rooms. Also, UV light can kill drug-resistant strains of S. aureus and E. faecalis in as little as 5 seconds. UV light can even be used to disinfect water without the addition of other harsh chemicals. La Casa, since our inception, has been using UV light, coupled with ozone, as the method we use to disinfect and cleanse the water in our Floatation chamber.
JAPANESE ONNETSU THERAPY60 minutes: $180
Onnetsu is a marriage of traditional Japanese therapy and modern far-Infrared technology. Science understands that energy involves heat. The Japanese have documented that degenerated cells are always cold because they lack energy, or heat. The Onnetsu therapy imparts healing heat (energy) into the body, stimulating the immune and autonomic nervous systems, as well as promoting blood, hormone and Chi flow throughout the body. Penetration depth into the body is 8 inches – deep enough to reach all major organs. Frequency range emitted is 8-15 microns – the exact frequency of infrared light from the sun.
Onnetsu Therapy works in three capacities:
1) Onnetsu has a diagnostic ability: it detects the location of unhealthy areas deep within the body through Far Infrared solar energy vibrations and heat.
2) Onnetsu balances the Autonomic Nervous System, and boosts one’w own healing ability without creating any adverse side-effects.
3) Onnetsu is the modern version of classical Japanese Moxibustion treatment, without the herbs, smoke and smell. Similarly, it acts like Acupuncture without the needles.
• Increases blood flow by promoting dilation (expansion) of capillaries
• Reduces muscle spasms as muscle fibers are gently heated
• Removes toxins from the site receiving far-infrared waves
• Assists in the reduction of swelling and inflammation by improving lymph flow
• Reduces pain through direct action on free-nerve endings in tissues and on peripheral nerves
• Stimulates enzyme activity
• Promotes the adhesion and osmosis of water molecules across the cellular membrane
• Attracts calcium ions to the cellular level
• Reduces acidity
• Promotes the most natural detox from deep within the body
$80 for 30 min
This state-of- the-art, NASA approved technology, uses a fine-tuned mixture of oxygen, light therapy, heat, vibration and essential oils to deliver dramatic results for wellness, healing, detoxification, anti-inflammation, cosmetic improvement, weight loss, and metabolic stabilization. The Rejuva-Pod works by evoking a cascade of healthy biochemical processes throughout the body that increases the body's natural ability to fight pathogens, disease, and inflammation, and to be in top shape.
La Casa’s Rejuva-Pod has the following effects on the Mind/Body:
- Increases your metabolism and gives better cardiovascular efficiency: The accelerated heart rate induced by Far-Infrared Sauna Therapy (FIRT) is a form of workout for the heart and circulatory system. Heat has the inherent effect of causing stress on the body. The body reacts going through physiological changes. As your body heats up from FIRT, your basal metabolic rate increases about 6-7% for each degree your body temperature rises. Scientific research has shown that a mere 16-minute Pod session, three times a week for six weeks, significantly improved cardiovascular efficiency.
- Detoxification and Weight Loss: Detoxification and weight loss are intimately connected. When our bodies become overloaded with toxins, the kidneys and liver cannot adequately filter the toxins out of the cells. As a result, our fat cells accumulate waste products, and we gain weight. Many of us do not sweat sufficiently to eliminate the toxins from our bodies. Perspiration is a part of the complex thermoregulatory process of the body involving significant increases in cardiac output, heart rate, as well as metabolic rate, resulting in increased caloric burning. The analysis of FIRT-produced sweat shows that is made up of 80 to 85% water; the remaining 15 to 20% contains sodium, other trace minerals, fat soluble toxins, sulphuric and uric acids, ammonia, cholesterol and heavy metals such as lead, cadmium and mercury. These detoxed bodily substances reflect up to six times the amount of toxins and heavy metals found in traditional sweat. These toxins are mostly concentrated just under the skin in the subcutaneous layer of the body and are associated with numerous health problems. The FIRT session concentrates on the subcutaneous tissue layer. Kidneys and liver, then, are able to function more efficiently. A moderately heat-conditioned person will sweat off 500 grams in a session,consuming about 390 Kcal. This would be the equivalent energy expenditure of running 2 to 3 miles. After regular Rejuva-Pod use for a few weeks, it is not uncommon to double your rate of perspiration.
- Oxygenation: Oxygen nourishes the body, helps flush out toxins and impurities, and promotes the healing of injuries. Oxygen therapy has many benefits: confers energy enhancement and greater stamina; enables muscle recovery, which leads to less aches and pains; aids in restful sleep; increases clarity, memory, alertness; and contributes to an overall feeling of wellness. The aging process is associated with a drop in available oxygen to the skin cells. Oxygen providesthe skin with much needed nutrients to repair and restructure itself from the inside-out. The use of pure oxygen provides an energizing and healing effect to the skin cells, which is ideal for acne prone skin
due to the anti-bacterial effects of oxygen. Oxygen stimulates collagen production at a cellular level speeding up the mitosis of the skin cells thus helping in the healing process,
and reversing the damage caused by free radicals. Generally it takes only 3 to 5 minutes to oxygenate one’s blood; but the Rejuva-Pod session is a full 30 minutes, giving super-
oxygenation. If one is suffering from: headaches, hangover, migraine, stress, fatigue, cramps, jet lag, heat exhaustion, or minor aches and pains, oxygen can provide relief.
- Cosmetic Improvements: Light Emitting Diode (LED) Therapy was developed by NASA in the 1980s to improve wound healing and tissue growth in space. NASA currently uses LED therapy to treat muscle and bone atrophy and decreased healing of wounds in astronauts. The US Navy also uses LED therapy on deep-sea submarines. Leading cancer treatment specialists are using LED lights to activate light-sensitive cancer treatment pills and are reporting outstanding results in fighting otherwise unreachable brain
tumors. LED therapy is advancing the treatment of chemotherapy side effects such as severe mouth sores and lesions.The Rejuva-Pod uses red, infrared and yellow wavelengths of low-level pulses of light to stimulate cells, increase circulation, and promote collagen growth. Think of it as working like photosynthesis for the skin. Studies show that skin exposed to LED light wavelengths grows 150-200% faster. Therefore, it improves the cosmetic appearance of skin , and has been documented to be safe and effective for all skin types.
Red Light Therapy: Rejuvenates the skin by improving blood flow and increasing collagen production. Provides relief from chronic and acute pain including muscle pain, joint pain,
arthritis, high blood pressure, tissue and nerve damage, and decreases injury healing time.
Yellow Light Therapy: Stimulates the nervous and lymphatic systems, toning and strengthening the muscles under the epidermis, and brings tightness back to skin, thus aiding the
Skin has a high blood and water content, so it quickly absorbs the varying lights delivered to it.
Cosmetic benefits of the Rejuva-Pod LED Therapy:
• Minimizes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and crow`s feet
• Clears acne and minimizes pores
• Improves the appearance of skin tone and texture
• Restores skin’s natural collagen production
• Reduces melanin that causes brown spots
• Reduces the effects of sun-damaged skin
• Increases circulation and moisture
• Reduces skin degradation, redness and flushing
• Decreases scarring, redness, dry patches, itching and sensitivity
caused by eczema
• Stimulates and activates naturally occurring metabolic function
and nutritional elements
The Rejuva-Pod has no known negative side-effects, creates no downtime, causes no pain, and requires no after-care.
CRYOTHERAPY – CRYOBLAST
$50 for 15 min
Exposure to cold air stimulates skin sensors, activating a Central Nervous System response. Endorphins, the body’s natural pain inhibitors and mood elevators, are then released. Increased circulation decreases inflammation, clears out toxins and metabolic waste, and brings in a host of fresh new supply of oxygen and nutrient enriched blood, stimulating cellular regeneration. We apply the cold air to any parts of the body that are asking for better health or anti-aging effects.